Updating cattaraugus cemetery kimora lee simmons dating
We invite you to take a look around the site and visit us in person in Machias, New York.
Connect with us on Facebook We have a FREE booklet available at the Museum, entitled "A Guide to Family History Research, Cattaraugus County, New York".
In 1789, Troy adopted its present name following a vote of the people.
Troy was incorporated as a town two years later and extended east across the county to the Vermont line, including Petersburgh.
In 1771, Abraham Lansing had his farm in today's Lansingburgh laid out into lots.
Sixteen years later, Van der Heyden's grandson Jacob had his extensive holdings surveyed and laid out into lots, naming the new village Vanderheyden.
These parcels of land were sold to the Dutch between 16 and each purchase was overseen and signed by Skiwias, the sachem at the time.
Lansingburgh, to the north, became part of Troy in 1900.The city is one of the three major centers for the Albany Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), which has a population of 1,170,483. Today, Troy is home to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the oldest private engineering and technical university in the US, founded in 1824.At the 2010 census, the population of Troy was 50,129. Due to the confluence of major waterways and a geography that supported water power, the American industrial revolution took hold in this area, making Troy reputedly the fourth wealthiest city in America around the turn of the 20th century.An early local legend that a Dutch girl had been kidnapped by an Indian male who did not want her to marry someone else gained some credence when two skeletons were found in a cave under Poestenkill Falls in the 1950s.One skeleton was female and Caucasian with an iron ring. The name Troy (after the legendary city of Troy, made famous in Homer's Iliad) was adopted in 1789 before which it had been known as Ashley's Ferry, and the region was formed into the Town of Troy in 1791 from part of the Manor of Rensselaerswyck. Troy became a village in 1801 and was chartered as a city in 1816.
state of New York and the seat of Rensselaer County.